Saturday, 12 December 2009

FElting hair into Kings Winter's head

Mamarae asked on my swap post how I did the hair for king winter. I made one for our table this week and took pictures as I felted the head.
I have to warn you that the pictures where taken at night, the only time my felting needle is allowed to come out otherwise the twins will try to have a go.
And secondly My eldest helped so some of the pictures are not as clear as they could be but I hope you get the idea :)

King winter hair tute

So this is what you need 1 dolls head, carded wool of your choice and s felting needle. I have no idea what size it is its a fairly basic one not too fine.

King winter hair tute

I start by giving him a fringe this line doesn't have to be done too neatly as it will be covered up in a minute. You put the hair over the head where you want it and start stabbing until you have a line all the way over the wool, ensuring that every bit has been felted in

King winter hair tute

a side shot of the fringe

King winter hair tute
Now the sides of the hair. Pull of a piece long enough to for both sides of the head (if you want the hair to be shoulder lenght your piece needs to be long enough to go from one shoulder to the next over the head and then a little bit more for felting)
Once you have laid it down over the head start stabbing. obviously since this line will be very visible do it as straight as you can

King winter hair tute

This is what th eback looks like at this point I pull the two sides slightly together so the divide between the back piece of wool and the side piece isn't so obvious and I secure it with a couple of stabs

King winter hair tute

front view at this point

King winter hair tute

Now Start adding another layer of hair underneath the first one. to cover up any visible skin and make the hairdo more full.
SOmetimes I add 3 total layers of hair but usually 2 dows the job
King winter hair tute

another view

King winter hair tute

the beard done just like the hair but I pull smaller (less dense?) bits of wool of to make the beard. attach under the mouth in a slight arch, basically following the shape of the face

King winter hair tute

another beard view

King winter hair tute

beard done moustache next

King winter hair tute

underside of the beard

King winter hair tute

Place a small bit under the nose and stab a line right under the nose make sure all the bit are stabbed in so you dont see any stabholes but rather one line

King winter hair tute

Thats it done. now all thats left it to neaten him up and stick a body on him :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this tutorial :) It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails