Thursday, 23 April 2009

lifes lessons

Its been a tough few days (and we have another tough night coming)
Tina our oldest hen of 8 (ish) came flying out of the coop tuesday night landed about 3 or so meters further and just stayed there. It was obvious straight away that she wasn't right and after having picked her up she was unable to use her left side. James had to help her out which was hard on him and i took the boys inside to bring Euan the news. his first question was Why? followed by are you going to make soup out of her?

We buried her instead she is buried next to one of our apple trees, Euan watched me with a serious look on his face the entire time. When I finished he looked at the freshly dug earth and the tree and said now we have a tina tree with tina flowers and we'll have tina apple won't we mum?
I was worried how he would deal with it. there was a fair bit of crying since he watched her flying out of the coop and he knew she was disstressed and it was an unpleasant thing to have seen but he made peace with it so quickly.

I have one poorly hen seperated from the flock who will meet the same end tonight when James gets home. After talking to many people who are more expierenced than me with chooks (and more expierienced than our vet) she has been diagnosed with Lymphoid leukosis. I have never helped a chook to the end and want to make sure its done quickly so I guess tonight I'll have to be there and learn.
She's still eating a bit and grooming when she has the energy but she is obviously not well.

On top of that I am getting no sleep between crying babies and Euan with night terrors (not to mention James's horrible snoring!) I'm lucky if I get 3 hours uninterupted.
Aah the joys of mothering :)

All the chickenstuff has led to constant talking about death and lifecycles and many many many why's as Euan is trying to understand and make sense of life and death. its lead to many conversations about difference in species I just hope that he finds a happier subject to talk about soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails